A Simple New Product Saves kids Injury and Death; Safe-T-Hold
Why New Box Products Knew Safe-T-Hold was Needed in a Dangerous World
By Thomas R. Reich PhD
New Box Products have developed the ultimate in furniture anchors. Basically a 2 part bracket and as easy to install as many picture hangers, this “bracket” can save your child or your grandchild’s life! The New Box Products Furniture Anchor is one inexpensive item near the checkout at your hardware store that you do not want to pass up, and here is why:
Did you know that just a few dollars and a small time investment could save your child’s or your grandchild’s or your neighbor’s child’s life? Furniture-related accidents are surprisingly common, but many adults are ignorant of the risks. After all, if furniture is properly assembled and children are reasonably well-supervised, shouldn’t you be able to assume the furniture poses no real danger?
Not so fast. Furniture is designed to hold books or rest safely against the wall. It’s not designed to withstand the climbing of a curious child or endless ramming by a two-year-old on a tricycle. While your furniture might have been designed to be perfectly safe, this was before kids entered the picture. Unfortunately, the adventurous spirits of children can also be a source of danger that engineers do not always design for, and safety inspectors do not always allow for. Situations like this are where furniture brackets come into play, and epically the New Box Products Furniture Anchor was designed and engendered to be simple to install and over engineered to work more effectively to protect against these eventualities.
Furniture: A Hidden Danger
According to the CDC, a child dies every two weeks when furniture topples over. More than 25,000 children are injured by tumbling bookcases, rickety drawers, and poorly secured televisions, with some children facing permanent disability as a result of their injuries. It doesn’t take long for a child to be injured, either. Just five or ten seconds are all a curious little one needs to climb the bookcase, throw something at the television, or hide in the dresser. Some common sources of injuries include:
Poorly secured furniture that falls onto a child after the child grabs it or throws something at it.
Unstable furniture that partially tips, allowing the contents to empty onto the child, something that is especially common with bookshelves.
Furniture that fully topples over onto a child, such as a chest of drawers that tips when a child tries to climb inside a drawer.
What New Box Products Furniture Anchors or “Brackets” Do?
Furniture brackets, sometimes called furniture anchors, secure furniture to the wall, offering additional support and stability. These simple devices greatly reduce the likelihood of furniture toppling over onto a child, but they won’t serve as a replacement for vigilant supervision. Drawers can still fall out of chests, unless you equip them with easy to install New Box Products Safety Sliders and Safety Stops. These simple to install devices from New Box stop drawers from pulling all the way out of the frame and causing harm to a curious child or a clumsy adult for that matter. Televisions can still shatter. Books can still fall out of bookcases.
Anchors are merely an additional safeguard, not a means of preventing all furniture-related injuries. But you can rest assured, we at New Box Products are working on safety devices to make the rest of the room safe too. At New Box Products we are committed to a safe home in reach and affordable for everyone!
Other Furniture Safety Tips
New Box Products Furniture Anchors or “Brackets” are just one key to furniture safety. To further ensure your family and friends safety, follow these steps:
- Assemble furniture exactly as instructed. Don’t leave screws partially unscrewed or fail to align walls properly. Over time, this can contribute to unstable furniture that detaches from the wall or sways back and forth.
- Attach heavy furniture with the New Box Products Furniture Anchor to a wall stud. A wall stud is a weight-bearing portion of the room’s frame, and can support heavier furniture than drywall alone. Most walls have several studs, and they’re usually evenly spaced. A stud finder allows you to locate studs in your wall easily.
- Use New Box Products Safety Slides and Safety Stops to keep drawers secured. Many chests of drawers contain drawers that can be pulled out. If your child embarks on a climbing mission, these drawers could crush them, even if the chest is properly secured.
- Consider putting doors on bookcases. A few falling books can seriously injure small children.
- Don’t leave your child alone in any room where the furniture poses a potential danger. Children make bad decisions, and you should not trust your child’s promises or rely on their maturity. Few children have a strong grasp of household dangers before the age of 10 or so.
- Consider creating at least one safe room in your house. This area should contain no furniture that can injure your child, no uncovered electrical outlets, and no other hazards. When you need a break, you can read or work online alongside your child in this room.
There’s no denying the fact that installing old style furniture “brackets” or “Anchors” can be a pain, particularly if your household furniture is already set up. But we have designed all New Box Products Furniture Anchor with the consumer in mind; where ease of installation is of primary concern, and they are engineered to be the tops among all products of their kind in providing a safe environment!
A little inconvenience, though, can spare you a lot of heartache. Once the Anchors and Drawer Stops are installed, you won’t have to do it again until you move or replace your furniture. Remember, New Box Products are engineered and manufactured to last many years and will outlast your furniture, maybe even your house! Your family’s safety and your peace of mind is worth the extra effort.